Friday, July 16, 2010

TGIF

It's been a rough week. 
Tuesday night Madeline started complaining about a sore throat, not being hungry, headaches, belly aches, etc., etc. It's a camp week & I didn't want her to lose any days but she was really out of it on Wednesday night & got to stay home Thursday. She had a fever and was not herself at all. 
This morning I took her to pediatrics & the throat culture confirmed that she does indeed have strep throat. I'm glad I finally took her in because this morning she broke out in a rash which the doc said was scarlet fever, a textbook sign of strep. Yikes.
I don't have to burn all her belongings though, just throw away her toothbrush. Isn't modern medicine grand?
The doctor asked me if Maddy wanted an S-H-O-T or ten days of antibiotics. 
Maddy can S-P-E-L-L so the negotiations began. I bribed her with a toy from anywhere she wanted if she chose the shot. She preferred the 10-day course of action.  I suggested the 10 days might be gross tasting and she'd have to take it twice a day plus get no toy.  She thought long and hard & finally, tearfully, said yes to the shot. 
Brave girl! 
Apparently antibiotic shots are really painful & in the rump. She got some Tylenol to help her with the painful jab. 20 minutes later she was fine & raving about her wise decision to take that shot. "Now can we go to Target?" 
She chose a Play-Doh ice cream shop. Here she is showing off her Bugs Bunny band-aid with a thumbs up. 
Here's one of my chicken-winged boy.
The doc said kids under 2 don't get strep, so he is safe!
And a great summer pic of Maddy jumping into the pool. 
I can't believe school starts in less than 5 weeks!

No comments: